- The face of a black hole — A worldwide team of scientists has detected the shadow created by a black hole’s event horizon. We show how they did it.
- Kepler’s conquests — We’ve tallied up all the exoplanet discoveries from the Kepler and follow-on K2 missions. There are a lot of them.
- Pioneers of the invisible universe — Scientists and engineers have worked over the decades to access the X-ray sky, revealing a hot and lively cosmos.
- Opportunity’s end — The Martian rover’s long and spectacular but heartbreaking saga helped rewrite our understanding of the Red Planet.
- Happy birthday, Margaret Burbidge — The astronomer who taught us we are all made of stardust celebrates her 100th birthday this year.
- Astrophotography — All the winning images from the 2019 David Malin Awards.
OBSERVING & EXPLORING:
- Binocular highlight — Seeing stars and clusters, near and far.
- Under the stars — Musings on time with the Milky Way.
- Planets — It’s Mercury’s time in the limelight.
- Meteors — The Orionids are coming!
- Variable stars — Spot VY Sculptoris, a cataclysmic binary.
- Comets — Remembering the mighty Ikeya-Seki.
- Deep sky — Visually track down microquasars.
- Outer limits — Spot the moons of Uranus and Neptune.
- Solar System — Signs of active volcanoes on Venus?
- Imaging — The latest smartphones make nightscape astrophotography a snap.
- Test report — We try out Nikon’s mirrorless Z6 camera.
- Astronomer’s workbench — A massive homebuilt Go To mount.
- Night life — events and activities for astronomy enthusiasts
…and much more.