Celestron EdgeHD 8 SCT
See the Universe in HD
EdgeHD is an aplanatic, flat field Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that produces aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma; it also provides an astrograph-quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
True Astrograph Quality
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as "astrographs" actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for some visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with the flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars, but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. With Celestron’s StarBright XLT optical coatings on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum.
In addition to EdgeHD’s optimized optical design, the telescope tube has been redesigned to make sure you get the most from your optics each and every night.
- Mirror clutches - Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when taking long exposure astro-images. Once focused, the flexible rods allow the mirror to be held in place without putting any force or pressure on the mirror assembly, keeping the image centered in the eyepiece (or on the sensor).
- Tube vents - Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Each vent has an integrated 95-micron micromesh filter guaranteed to let warm air out without letting dust in.
- Fastar versatility - EdgeHD is the most versatile imaging telescope available today. At its native f/10, you can achieve the image scale necessary to capture the smallest of deep sky objects. Add the optional reducer lens—custom-designed for your size EdgeHD tube—and you can increase your field of view without sacrificing optical performance. A Barlow gives you added power for high-resolution planetary, lunar and solar imaging. All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible, allowing the secondary mirror to be removed and replaced with a third party lens accessory for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging.
Every EdgeHD that ships has been tested not only for the surface quality of each optical component, but also with a camera and artificial star to ensure the imaging system meets our rigid quality assurance. This “final acceptance test” confirms the EdgeHD will perform in the field and deliver high-quality astroimages.
The HEQ5 PRO Go-To Mount represents the ultimate evolution of the EQ5 mount. With a mount head weight of 10 kg this professional mount is ideal to be carried anywhere in search of dark skies and solar eclipses. The integrated bubble level and the adjustable tripod legs make the levelling easy, the azimuth and altitude axis can be fine adjusted for a precise polar alignment. On top of that, the included polar scope included allows an extremely precise polar alignment that helps to drastically improve the quality of tracking, especially for astrophotography.
The exceptional SynScan Go-To system allows full control of both R.A. and Dec. axes with 9 slew speeds and 5 arcminute pointing precision, allowing you to quickly and accurately locate objects across the night sky. The Go-To system can automatically slew the telescope on command toward planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, clusters and much more. The SynScan has 42,900 memorised celestial objects for an amazing journey in the night sky. The Deep Sky Tour function suggests a list of the most interesting deep sky objects currently visible, so even the novice astronomer can easily observe faint objects at the touch of a button.
The HEQ5 Pro Mount with Steel Tripod features and includes the following:
- A user friendly Synscan hand controller
- 2x 5.1Kg counter weight
- Wall-to-wall large accessory tray
- 1.75" stainless steel tripod legs
- Retractable counterweight shaft
- 1.8 degree step angle and 64 micro steps driven
- Motor resolution at 0.144arc sec (or 9.024,000 steps/rev.)
- Slew speeds from 2x, 8x, 18x, 32x, 64x, 400x, 500x, 600x, and up to 3.4°/sec (800X)
- Sidereal, Solar and Lunar tracking rates
- One, Two and Three star alignment options
- Auto guider interface for astrophotography
- Guiding speed from 0.25x, 0.50x, 0.75x, or 1x
- Minimal vibration for steady long-exposure astrophotography
- Payload Capacity 13.7Kg
- Containing over 42,900 objects with complete Messier, NGC and IC Catalogues.
- Positioning accuracy up to 1 arc minute. Accuracy enhanced by software collimation error (mount mechanical error) compensation
- Periodic error correction
- Firmware upgradeable via internet download
- PC Compatibility
- Car power supply adapter included
- Requires 11 to 15V DC 2A power supply (not included).
- Database with 42,900+ objects
- Messier, Caldwell, NGC, IC & SAO catalogues, Named Stars, Double Stars, Variable Stars, Named Stars
- One, Two and Three Stars or Brightest Star Alignment
- Autoguiding feature for astrophotography
- Pointing Accuracy Enhancement feature (PAE)
- Permanent Periodic Error Correction (PPEC)
- Unknown Object Identification feature
- Pointing accuracy up to 5 arc min
- Tracking rates: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar
- Slewing speeds: 1x, 2x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x, 400x, 500x, 600x, 800x (3.4°/sec)
- Motor type: DC Servo Motors
Optical Tube Specifications
In The Box:
- Celestron EdgeHD 8" OTA (CG5)
- 9x50 finderscope
- 1.25” mirror diagonal
- 40 mm Plössl 1.25” eyepiece
- HEQ5 Pro Mount
- Steel Tripod
- Accessory Tray
- Integrated Counterweight Bar
- Polar scope (South and North Hemispheres)
- SynScan Hand Controller and Cable
- Power Supply Cord (Lighter Plug)