- Martian weather is a killer — Storms, radiation and dust combine to create a deadly environment on the Red Planet.
- The river of stars — More than 3,000 square kilometres of South Australia’s Mid Murray district have been designated Australia’s first Dark Sky Reserve.
- Dark sky destination — New Zealand is aiming to become the first country to officially be declared a ‘Dark Sky Nation’.
- The neglected planets — Decades after a lone spacecraft flew by, Uranus and Neptune and their many moons still guard plenty of secrets.
- Space missions in 2020 — Dozens of spacecraft are exploring the Solar System. We show you where they are.
- Your night sky guide for 2020 — Lots of amazing celestial sights await stargazers this year.
OBSERVING & EXPLORING:
- Binocular viewing — Discover a stellar smorgasbord in Orion.
- Under the stars — See how the cosmos is always on the move.
- The planets — Venus dazzles in the dusk this month.
- Meteor showers — Your guide to meteor showers in 2020.
- Variable stars — How to catch a ‘unicorn’ star.
- Comets — Learn about Aristotle’s ‘flaming beam’ comet.
- Deep sky — Enjoy observing the famous Crab Nebula.
- The Moon — Seeing craters on the lunar limb.
- Observing challenge — Spotting changes in Hubble’s variable nebula.
- Imaging — A collaboration among three friends is providing a dramatic new look at the glowing hydrogen spread across our Milky Way galaxy.
- Test report — Road testing GSO’s new 25-cm classical Cassegrain telescope.
- Astronomer’s workbench — Need to re-aluminise your telescope’s mirror. Try silvering instead.
- Night life — events and activities for astronomy enthusiasts